Outdoor and active
Our favourite day would be renting a rowing boat from Flatford and rowing up to Dedham to have a lazy lunch at The Boathouse or The Sun Inn before rowing back with an ice cream. (Dedham & Flatford are home to the famous Constable landscape paintings). The scenery is nothing short of picturesque. This journey can also be done in reverse starting at Dedham. Rowing boats are available during the warmer months and there is no need to book ahead however during holidays and hot weather it is advisable to get there in good time in the morning.
Also many other locations and attractions include:
- Fishing lakes at Great Blakenham – Suffolk Water Park (3.9m)
- Water sports at Alton Water Sports Centre (6.7m)
- Deben Water Sports Centre – kayaking and canoeing (12.3m)
- Suffolk Coast Sailing (12m), Suffolk Ski Centre (4.9m)
- Jimmy’s Farm (4.6m) for the ideal young family day out (if the weather is good).
- Curveboard Sports Paddleboarding School (6.6m)
- Hollow Trees Farm Shop and animals to feed (5.4m)
- Many local walks from the site along footpaths and Suffolk Cycle Routes marked out.
- Beaches: Felixstowe, Thorpeness, Aldeburgh, Walberswick or Southwold
- Nacton Shores for walks along the River Orwell
- Swimming Pools – Crown Pools, Felixstowe Leisure Centre, Colchester Leisure World
- Head to Woodbridge for The Tide Mill Museum, Sutton Hoo site and Rendlesham Forest Centre
- Snape – walking & cycle routes to Aldeburgh & Thorpeness along beaches and paths
- Snape Maltings for music, shops, nature & art. This is also where the annual Aldeburgh Food & Drink festival takes place. All of Suffolk Foodie businesses culminate into one place to share their latest tastes! See website for event & dates.